Patience is a virtue with this super yummy baked chicken and dumpling dish; Let it sit for a bit after completing the final step, and the end result will be wonderfully creamy.
Cook time: 1 Hr 15 Min Prep time: 15 Min Serves: 8-10
To make this baked chicken and dumplings You’Il need the following Ingredients:
4-5 large chicken breast, boneless
1 stick real butter
1 1/2 c self-rising flour
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c sour cream
3 c chicken broth (reserve for further use)
1 can(s) cream of celery soup
1/2 tsp savory (rosemary or thyme may be used)
4 Tbsp real butter
salt and pepper to taste
1. NOTE: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, use self-rising flour. I DO NOT recommend using margarine, low-fat or fat-free items as this will change the texture and taste of the dish.
2. Place chicken, 4 tablespoons butter and salt and pepper in a large stock pot and cover with water, at least 2 inches over the chicken. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and boil chicken until tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. When chicken is done remove from broth and let cool. Reserve broth. When cool, shred chicken into pieces.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt 1 stick butter and pour into 3 quart baking dish. Spread chicken on top of butter. In a separate bowl, whisk flour and milk together and carefully pour evenly over top of chicken, scrape bowl. In the same bowl whisk together 2 cups of the reserved chicken broth, cream of celery soup, sour cream and savory. Carefully pour this mixture over top of chicken and flour mixture.
4. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a golden brown. Let cool for about 15 minutes. Then pour the remaining 1 cup reserved chicken broth evenly over the top. Let stand for about 5 minutes or until the broth has “soaked” into the chicken and dumplins.
5. If you love this recipe please visit www.southerngalscook.com for more recipes to enjoy and share!